Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon adopted and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the young families after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and canine care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. With all the depression effecting everyone here in click here town, the community needed to stick together more than ever. Through a national give, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph had a people of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic military to the battle. The community continued to be strong and extended to enhance the Village, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and continues to do so.